Monday, August 29, 2011

Uphill Battle

My BQ kit arrived last Wednesday - the ride guide with a detailed daily itinerary including a scary elevation map on several days, my ride ticket, ride wristband, baggage tags and a free token!

Kat and I had agreed to meet up for an afternoon ride on Saturday but the pouring rain put a stop to that. I went to town early to shop and check out a few things at the camping shop for our ride - and ran into her there! We compared notes and both bought a pillow, a torch and a clothesline each. I also bought a tin plate, bowl and cup.

We met Sunday at J and rode the back way to the Bell turnoff, just shy of 50km round trip. There were some challenging uphills and exhilarating downhills.........and several longer than necessary rest stops! When you have all the time in the world it's easy to lose focus! I carried my camera in my knapsack but at 2kg I think it's unnecessary extra weight. I think I'll ask Andrew if I can borrow his smaller one.

I switch between thinking I'm going to handle the CQ ride easily and thinking I'm going to find it hard going (that's usually at the 3/4 of the way up the hill mark that I come to this conclusion). I just put my head down, count in lots of 8 and figure if I just keep turning one more pedal I'll get there eventually!



 Kat checking in on Facebook.



No comments: