Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ramping up the K's

In three weeks time I will be fast asleep (I hope) after the first two days of the Cycle Queensland 2011 ride. I will have ridden from Gundi to Yelarbon day 1, then on to Killarney. Kat is riding the first three days with me, then I'm on my own (apart from my other 1498 friends!!). I have been doing some very sporadic training but have suddenly realised there's not much time left to get a bit bike fit. So last Monday I rode 5 quarry hills (it's amazing how slow you can go and still be moving); then I put my bike in for a service and new back tyre and cateye while we went away - picked it up when we got back on Friday. Yesterday I rode 36km to Irvingdale after battling a terrible head wind down past the R's piggery. It took me 55 minutes to reach the target 18km and only 39 minutes to come back. I averaged just under 23km with two loooong hills and a peak in between. I saw 2 cars, 13 kangaroos (that all crossed the road in single file just in front of me), 1 black and white cat that ran along the road just ahead of me for about 200 metres and 1 fox. I was quite cold when I got home and really wished for a bath. My next house will definitely have a bath. A really big one. That even I can lay back in and be completely covered with hot, hot water.

Today I met Kat at Jimbour and we rode towards Bell, 33km total. Roaring wind. Spits of rain. Lots of hills. Remind me again why I want to do this?? Actually, it was fantastic; we only go as fast (or slow) as we feel like. It was a great workout. Tomorrow she's coming here and we'll do the Irvingdale ride together - so I will have done 105km in 3 days. Hope I can still walk by the time I finish tomorrow.

I brought K's bike home with me as she will come straight here after taking L back to school. I got the bikes out for a photo - and Peppy was very interested in everything. She even stood up on the back of the car to see what was inside. I had to chase her away from K's bike - she doesn't need any more shredded tyres.

570km. 9 days. 1500 friends. Camping in a tent. That I will erect and dismantle myself. Should be a hoot.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Way to go Mare!
The older girls and I are running in our first 5K race in October! Don't ask me why or how, but a little project I've been practising the last couple of months. Have you heard of the 'Couch to 5K' running program?
Exciting for me to start running at age 40. Even more exciting to have my 10 and 12 year old daughters with me.