Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ekka Visit No. 2

A last minute decision saw us dash from breakfast at Weis to the Ekka for a quick look at the animals (well the main focus was the chooks). We parked at head office and walked to Milton and caught the train to Roma Street then to the Ekka. It reminded me of when I lived at Milton in 1980 and caught the train every day to Roma Street where I walked across the road to police HQ. The trains are a bit more modern these days compared to 31 years ago. Holy Cow. Has it really been that long?? I feel a little nostalgic (and a little older. I was a fresh faced :) 17 year old when I moved away).

This is only our second ever visit to the Ekka. Anyway, there we were.....first stop - the GOATS!!!!




 Hmm, I think the food looks tastier on the other side of the fence!
 Hey! There's no water in my foot spa!! How's a girl s'posed to look her best if she cant soak her nails?? Hey you!


 These girls remind me of me - all bony hips and ribs - although they beat me hands down in the mammary department...........
 Hey Meg - you could get a job here, making all the girls look good before they go out on parade! I really laughed at this one - remind you of anything??




 Nice butts.
 It doesn't matter where I go- there's cow poo.



 For Megan.
 For Drew.
 I kept telling Gibbo to stop putting his hand in every second cage trying to get the birds to turn around. I was sure we were going to be asked to leave.
 There's always someone who wants to leave a poultry show early.

 Little Eve won third place with her plate of eggs.

He's getting his hand ready again.


 Plymouth Rocks are my next breed of choice. We're trying to track down some good stock.


 Eve won third place with her buff silkie, bred in an incubator from some eggs we sent her.


 The displays were good.


 I might try a bit of fruit and veg sculpture the next time we have visitors.


 Ugliest cat I've ever seen; I guess someone loves it.
 I thought we could take Poofy next year - he'd win the judges over with his great smile and bad breath (and Meg could give him a home haircut just before we go - he's sure to win).



 And home again.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I want some Plymouth Rocks too!!!!! Loved the goats and the Smurf!

Fiona said...

Really gorgeous Ekka shots Mare. Appreciated the Brahman shots ... in fact the owner of the ones with the nice butts is currently in WA with Matthew.
Had to laugh at your comparison of yourself with the milkers ... I was going to comment on your last post (photo of you and Gibbo), how gorgeous you look and how I'd kill for a pair of legs that long.
Gibbo's looking fairly dapper as well.
I have to ask whether you were visiting Wandilla or Palmvale (Mt Slopeaway) on your last visit up this way. (We actually join both of them, so you were very close). The hills to your north would have been ours.
Have a great week.