Monday, August 29, 2011

Letters From My Mother

Hello Meg and Drew,

I took a walk around yesterday morning, taking photos to send you both because I know how much you like getting reminders of home. Last night we had a meal of surprisingly good packaged Peking Duck - you can afford to do this sort of thing when there's only two of you at home!
And check this out - my first two strawberries!! I had the beautifully formed one and gave Gibbo the gnarly looking one. They were both very sweet and tasty.
 So I started my walk on the verandah. Looks just the same hey?
 The weekend just gone is the last weekend of Winter! Soon the white cedar trees will begin to leaf up - and bring the grubs.

 The top left corner is still as wild as it was when you left.
 These are the two silkie pullets that were going to the big city to live - but thanks to a visit by Reynard last night, they went to the big chookhouse in the sky. I chose two more smaller pullets to send with Gibbo today to the good folk at mudpiehomer.blogspot.com. In all the drama this morning I neglected to take a photo of the two other little ones before they left on their journey.
 In the permaculture garden - not a lot has happened over the Winter. The eschallots are still there.
 The italian parsley never stops growing.
 The coriander has gone to seed.........
As have the biggest, oldest eschallots.
 The wild rocket has - well - gone wild! I cut a stem each morning for the black and the white silkies and the barnies. They love it!



 There's more strawberries out there.
The poor tomato plant that has kept itself going all Winter with minimal (none) attention is still doing its' best to deliver.
I mixed feed, a regular weekend activity - and I didn't even have any help from a certain goat!
Here's Princess Coco, giving me the evil eye because I won't feed her warmed chicken mince and milk for breakfast or waffle, honey and icecream for dessert like Grandma does....
And here's the other end of the scale, it's the happiest dog in the world again, Poofy.
Here's the barnie rooster, looking regal and in charge.
And here's the beautiful soft, fluffy bums of the black silkies. Aren't they beautiful?

And yes Meg, that's your car parked on the GRASS. It wasn't me who put it there!
I have more reminders of home for you but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Love and Miss You Both, an Awful Lot,

Momma

No comments: