Thursday, August 11, 2011

If You Go Down To The Woods Today........

Soooooo. Today. I. Did. Something. That. In. Hindsight. Probably. Wasn't. The. Best. Idea.

It all started on a rainy Wednesday morning. I awoke from my slumber, my bones aching, begging me to rest a little while longer. I resist the urge and trudged my way down to the mess hall to have breakfast with my fellow workers.

I had just eaten greasy bacon and eggs when Josh (a fellow dock hand) walked in and asked me if I wanted to come on a rubbish run. In my mind I thought - you could pay me anything and I wouldn't come on the rubbish run. Its smelly gross and dirty. But something inside me told me to go.

We loaded up one of the boats full of garbage - took it to the main island - filled up the pick up truck and headed off to the dump. Someone mentioned bears along the road to the dump so I threw my camera in at the last minute.

We got to the dump and I told Josh to park away from the actual dump site so I could go look first. On my walking there it suddenly dawned on me how dangerous this was - I'm in an open field away from the pick up surrounded by rotting foods. As I got closer to the garbage a huge black crow flew out of the dump and scared the absolute life out of me!! No bear! Phew. We unloaded the garbage and headed back to get the second load.

Once we arrived with the new load I did the same thing walked up to the dump site to look for a good photo - not expecting anything. I kept my wits about me just in case I had to run. Once again a black crow flew out, made me jump. I dropped my guard and casually walked closer. Then. BAM. There it is. A 180 pound black bear cub. I froze.

 I imagine someone that has had a hit of adrenaline in a hospital feels the rush go through their body. When I saw this bear I literally felt something running up and down my system. My heart just started to pound. I could actually hear it. I slowly raised my camera and started to take photos of the cub. Got some great shots.

The worst is yet to come. I wondered to myself. A mother bear wouldn't let its cub stray to far from her sight would it. I slowly turned around... and.. there was nothing. I breathed a loud sigh of relief. It must have been loud because the cub raised its head at me and for a good 4 - 5 seconds we just stared into each others eyes.

Then he bolted off back into the woods. I called Josh over and we emptied the garbage. For a good 15 minutes or so I still had the rush.

Check out the attached photos. I also attached some photos I took once I got back to Chaudiere.

Love from an alive and intestines still intact Drew Gibbons :) XOXOX


1 comment:

Liz said...

They're beautiful creatures...from a distance. ;-)