Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Meteor 1

Last week Gibbo and I travelled to one of the Company properties, MD. It came under his umbrella six years ago and it's soon to leave his "portfolio". A well known mining company (that has a big cross in its' name) finally applied enough pressure, put an enormous price that was well over book value on the place and it was sold. We went to catch up with the managers and their team and to start the arrangements for the handover.

I went walking Wednesday afternoon and took photos with my new camera.











 The old, original part of the homestead; floodwater reached it in January.
 This little walkway connects the house quarters to the rest of the house and station kitchen.
On Thursday morning I spent two hours walking up the creek, stopping along the way to take photos, experiment with the camera settings and to just sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. I was strongly reminded of my childhood spent on the banks of the Condamine River at Greenbank. I was very rested and calm by the end of my walk and headed back past the compounds to the office where I was sent to Springsure to have the flat tyre from our car, fixed.

Thursday afternoon, Gibbo took me to see the bulls then around to see little Otto Shulz's grave. Poor little guy. It would have been a tough life out there back then.

It was nice to be back there again; it's a long time since I visited. I might fit one more visit in before it all changes hands.

No comments: