Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Waiting for Julia

Julia G came to town today and Meg and I went along to see her. The five minutes we thought we had to wait for turned into an hour and a quarter so we drank takeaway coffee and chatted. She arrived, we stared, I took photos and then we left. A handpicked group sat with her for around half an hour, discussing floods, roads, infrastructure and gas fields. Our friend K was one of the chosen, representing farmers. Then I drove to Surat; G left home at 4 this morning to come out. Before I left I did a bit of shopping for Drew and sent an Easter parcel off to him, except there's nothing easterish in it really. I sent two Ashdene teacups for his host grandparents too - he met them on the weekend and the grandma fell in love with him. They are avid birdwatchers and he was showing them pictures of Australian birds - they especially liked kookaburras, so I sent a kookaburra cup and a magpie cup. They liked emus too-and while I was driving out here today, what should I come across but a group of half grown emus, crossing the road. I could see them away in the distance and I thought I'd pull up and get some great shots to send them...and then guess what happened....after seeing only a couple of cars in two hours of driving, a car came along and scattered them...and then just as I got near them another car came along. Geez. I took three average photos of just their heads and will send them off anyway. Didn't see another car then until I got to Surat. I bought the new Waifs album and listened to that on the way out.

My ducks are tiny and cute and rather wild. Peter sent a cute little nest box up with them. So we're here until Thursday I think. The new managers arrive on Sunday but don't actually start until the 18th. Is that a light at the end of the tunnel or is it a train?

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Emus, ducks and ... Julia. Hhhmm.

Do you remember the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoon? And the old, old hen who was smitten with Foghorn. Matthew rather unflatteringly compares our Julia to that old hen. And there is a slight resemblance.

Thanks for the boarding school comments. I really appreciate your always sound and wise advice. And I know you're right, it's the waiting now for the time to arrive. Sarah is so excited, that it rubs off. I know she's going to thrive, so I just hope I can keep my emotions in check for her sake.
Enjoy your week at Surat. Do hope your new managers are everything you need!