Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Right Royal Wedding

Well wasn't that a show and a half....and I loved every minute of it. I was glued to the tv, sitting on the floor only inches away from the action. Meg watched from a bit further back, from the couch. Chris and Gibbo - well they would rather have watched the footy but I pulled rank based on the fact that I'm the oldest person in the house.....and they can watch football any old time - but how often does a REAL Royal Wedding happen....and it just so happens that I was at the last BIG one, when Andrew married Fergie. It was July 23, 1986 - we'd got up early at the Youth Hostel, made our sandwiches and caught the train into Embankment, then Westminster. We arrived at the Abbey about 6am and, stepping over sleeping bodies, snatched "second row" seats (standing only!). We then had to wait for over five hours for Fergie to arrive. I got some good photos of Charles and Di and Andrew and Fergie leaving the church in open top carriages. We were standing just opposite the Abbey on a corner and saw all the action. I just had a look at the photos and read my diary from the day - and wow, I looked so young back then!!! Well it was 25 years ago. I'll have to scan some photos and add them later. After the wedding was over we caught a train to Edinburgh for the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games. It was a busy few days.

Anyway, back to this wedding. I haven't followed their romance at all over the past 8 (?) years so I have no idea whether Catherine will make a suitable Queen or not...but I was a fan of Diana's and I wasn't going to miss this. I can't believe I took photos of the ceremony on tv (well actually I can 'cos I knew I'd be blogging about it). Here's the Queen kissing Charles but something weird happened when I took it and now it either looks like an arty shot....or a mess.
The crowd was incredible.
I loved Pippa's dress. Very slinky and sexy. Drew liked it too. He thought that she outshone Kate. Meg googled Posh as soon as she arrived to see more photos of her dress.
What were they thinking?

What probably impressed me the most about the day was the way the police lead the enormous crowd into the circle out the front of Buckingham Palace. They inched their way up Pall Mall and into the curves with such precision and orchestration that I couldn't help but marvel at it. There was no rushing or running - it was all very orderly and organised and fascinating to watch.

Even Chloe sat up to watch it.


No comments: