Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Fab Weekend

Hi Drewy, I thought I'd do another post to you, to fill you in on what we did on the weekend. The weather was autumnly beautiful and we spent lots of time outside enjoying it. When we went over to the chooks on Saturday morning Meg discovered that the goats had engineered a breakout and were in with the black and white silkie hens. They (the hens) were suitably freaked. Chris and I set about fixing the fence between the two and soon re-established order. Chris only has a week left in Brisbane before he moves home to drive a feed truck until he and Meg head off in July. It will be nice to have him here again; I can get my little fixit jobs done and it's nice to have another quiet personality in the house :) Just last week I was commenting on how I had lovely passionfruit flowers but no fruit. Well look what Meg found - passionfruit!

Gibbo played cricket for QCC over at Kingaroy (after dropping the chooks in at the Show). He took two wickets, two catches and made a paltry 7 runs. They lost badly. I went to town in the afternoon and picked up the chooks. We got 7 firsts and 1 second in our classes but no bigger prizes. We had lasagne for dinner (Chris' favourite meal).
Sunday. We spent hours over at the chooks/garden, just pottering around, mixing feed, watering, rearranging. It's good for the soul.


Here I am, sitting on the fence, waiting for the boys to come and pick us up to go and visit Mr. P. We went to pick up 8 wild bantams for Uncle Peter. Meg thought she might score another goat or two but I said NO, NO, NO.

In honour of you, we did a selfie.


The garden looks a bit bare. I'm preparing to plant potatoes, garlic and more strawberries. I sent away for some organic plants; they should arrive mid-week.These two little tykes greeted us at Mr. P's gate.
Meg tried to convince the cow to let her milk her but the cow didn't oblige. How would these guys and girls go in the feedlot??!?


Meg found herself a goat!!! It's actually one of Martin's - remember the little kids that we went and fed (well I fed them while you and Megan sat and watched and played with them). A few of them went to stay at Mr. P's when it wouldn't stop raining in December and they've been there since. Check these out - the bird at the front forgot to put his/her feathers on!!!! It looked hilarious and kept flapping it's wings and showing off and screeching at us. Great angle on the first photo!Meg made jam drops and used the plum jam that I made. It's a bit runny but will be ok on toast. Uncle Peter came to pick up his bantams and suggested that your exchange sounds like one big party with a bunch of international students. I said Yes, it does! He's glad you've moved to a nice family.


The Reynolds' came to pick up Tess and Anakin. They really liked the ducks and we were telling them about your "Promposal"!


I got my winter gear organised today - my beanies, neck warmer, scarves and mittens. I'm looking forward to the cold weather.


Meg made two of these egg biscuits as an experiment for Easter. Cute hey?I'm glad the parcel arrived safely and that everyone liked their gifts. It arrived almost quicker that a letter does. I hope yours to us arrives this week. Meg is sure to want to open it in town but I'll make her wait until she gets home so we can all open it together!


You've been gone just over 10 weeks now! How quickly (and slowly) it's gone. Only 42 more to go!


Love You and Mis You Drewy,


Mumma xxxxx

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Well I didn't expect to see Brahmans making an appearance on this blog Mare. Amazing 'antlers' on them. Well done with the chooks at the show, not so great with the cricket, maybe a good thing to prevent any repeat of last win's revelry (We are Warriors!!!)
By the way, your roast pork continues to look amazing. I'm pleased to report my new stove has passed the most important test of cooking beautiful crackling.
Have a great week.