Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Chevre Hilton

Dear Drewy,

Time for another update on the excitingly mundane things we do when you're not here.

Peppie had kiwi fruit for breakfast.
Chris is building a new pen for them, around where the camels used to live. The three sides of the camel fence is still there so he just has to close in the fourth side. He's building their shelter between the trees using corrugated iron and mesh. It will be better for them - a much bigger pen and trees for shade....plus I get to reclaim their current pen for my red silkies.
Meg was project manager AND site supervisor, two very responsible positions to have - here she is inspecting the gate. It passed approval.

You can just make out the fence that is still there from the camels. The goats will love chewing down all the grass. We're hoping the little paddock will be goat proof. We figure if it kept two camels in, it should keep two goats in? What do you think? Time will tell. It has a row of barb across the top which may (or may not) prevent escapades.
Here is Chris, working hard. This time, Gibbo is the site supervisor. Poor Chris was just the poor old workman wherever he went.







I spent all morning in the permy garden. I pulled out an eggplant plant and was excited to find a big fat worm in the dirt. See - exciting hey? Bet you wish you were here to share the thrills.
Chloe was my number one helper. Coco had been banished with a sharp smack and a volley of profanities after she'd snuck into the red silkie pen and STOLEN A NEWBORN CHICKEN...it was only seconds out of the egg....and she STOLE IT AND THREW IT UP INTO THE AIR. It died of course. I was very cranky at her and she knew it. She still won't look me in the eye, hours later.
Everything looks lovely now that the mulch from the goat pen is spread.
I planted lettuce, silverbeet and zucchini.

More help!!


And now our five day holiday has come to an end and tomorrow, it's back to reality. After barely thinking about work, the company, cattle, fuel returns or bulk stores since Thursday, they're creeping their way back in. Tomorrow we have the Chairman of the Board and his wife coming to visit and dinner tomorrow night. Another social occasion that I'll handle awkwardly. Thank God for Gibbo. I'm supposed to have a final office visit to Surat to cover off on a couple of last things; we had planned that for Wednesday but now it's been pushed back to Thursday.

So to wrap up Easter - we had a great few days...good food, good company, a bit of shopping, a chook auction, a visit to The Bunya's, a hike, a lot of gardening, catching up on blog reading, building new goat pens, relocating rooster cages, skyping with Drewy....and I'm still trying to read my latest book purchase. When I get a chance to read I'm really enjoying it but there just aren't enough hours in the day to cover everything!

Well Drewy, there you go. The last couple of posts shows you what we did for our Easter break. As our weather turns cooler, yours is warming up. Miss you, Love you,

Momma xx

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Hi Mare.
I hope Drew enjoys the weekly updates as much as I do. You don't seem to sit still long! And even if nobody else does, I share your excitement at finding a worm in your garden! I was actually most excited at finding not one, but two eggplants in my garden ... I was about to move the chook dome back over the old bed, when rummaging around I found two glossy beauties staring back at me. Lots of flowers still on the plants too, so maybe more to come, I'm not sure of their preferred growing season. Haven't got my potatoes in the ground yet, see that you have.
The goat paddock's looking good, I could do with a Chris around these parts.
Have a great week.