Monday, April 25, 2011

ANZACs and Anna

Maryanne and I went to the Anzac Day Parade. It was very short this year. With Anzac Day falling on the Easter five day long weekend, there weren't many folk left in town. We did the ANZAC thing - me the Aussie, her the NZer.
Anna Bligh, the Premier of Queensland, was there. I have no idea why - we aren't exactly a Labour electorate. In the space of a couple of weeks we've had the Prime Minister and the Premier in town.My heart gave a little twinge when this banner came past. It reminds me of other Anzac Days gone by. I hadn't expected to be at this one; I figured last year was my last one, but M was keen to go, so just the two of us went. Drew rang just after we'd left the laying of the wreath ceremony so I talked to him for ages (while we walked around in the pet shop. I showed him the kittens and pups. We watched a snake eat a pinky rat. Fascinating).

Mitch and Tamika came back again this morning to finalise booking accommodation for the big trip. They used our Gold Card to pay the deposits because it doesn't have conversion or transaction fees, so saved them quite a lot of money. Meg sat up late, working out how much spending money she's going to have and thinking up ways to save as much as possible before July 16.

No comments: