Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chaudiere Lodge

Drew had three choices for how he would spend his time during the 2 month Summer break. He could: 1) Go to Camp (as a Counsellor) for the entire time 2) Spend the entire time with his host family or 3) Spend the entire time visiting friends and relatives in Canada or the USA. Option 3 was out. Option 1 was also out because his family had several events they wanted to celebrate/share with him. They included:- his birthday, Canada Day, his graduation, his sister's graduation, a visit to his sister's College, a week in Massachusetts and his sister's departure for College. Unfortunately, he didn't have the option to do all of these things AND spend just one month at Camp - Camp was either all or nothing. So, after discussions with his host family and us he opted for Option 2 with the view to pursuing some volunteering opportunities which might include the Ottawa Blues Festival or the Jazz Festival.

Last Tuesday I got a phone call at work; my heart gave a little leap. I thought there had been an emergency until I heard him laughing. He told me he had some exciting news. I skyped him back and he and Lianne told me what they had found. He applied to volunteer for two weeks at a Fishing Lodge in the north of Ontario. His host parents went there last year and really enjoyed it and Lianne suggested to Drew that he might like to give it a try. So he sent off an email and had a reply 5 minutes later - Yes, Steve would love to have Drew come and work there - kitchen, housekeeping, restaurant, on the docks - anything to help out. So Drew is very excited. Another great experience for him through this wonderful family that found him. I just hope the Canadian organisation approves the visit. I've had a look at the Lodge website - check this out. It looks FANTASTIC - and he might get to see the Northern Lights. That was one of his wishes that we discussed before he left home - and it might come true.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hello. I live about two hours west of Ottawa and am really enjoying reading about our land from the eyes of a visitor. (I've been lurking for a few weeks, ;-)) He sounds like he's having a wonderful time. Then again, look at all those girls. I'm sure he'll enjoy his time up north and I hope he sees the Northern Lights. They're something to see.