Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Saturday

 These little guys spent the night on the table under the pulley light; they moved out this morning.
Oh man, it sure is wet around these parts. Another 2 and 1/2 inches yesterday. All the culverts and tabledrains between home and town have water although not full to capacity yet. It's likely though. Mum, Drew and I went to Tba this morning to look at hire suits for the two formals he is attending. We booked the silver/grey and are yet to organise the black. I cried when he came out of the dressing room; holy mackerel, how did he ever get so big. 


Everywhere you look there are chickens - in the house, in the garage, in the office (incubator) and under a dozen chooks. These are some of my silkies - all blacks although some of them don't look it. They will change colour as they grow.




How about this..........these are LEMONS on the lemon tree I got for my birthday a month ago!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them......they are so tiny! 


 Zucchini plants are incredible - we'll be eating them in a couple of days. They grow so quickly.

I call these the Wild Tomatoes - these are all plants that the nurseryman gave me for free ages ago. He had just thrown them in the bin -  I planted them around the perimeter but didn't give them much hope. I didn't even pinch out the new shoots, I just left them to themselves. Now they've started fruiting...so I'll continue to let them look after themselves and see what happens. 



The eggplant seedlings are just poking through. Meg will be pleased. She's gone to Bris for a week's intensive course for one of her subjects. Then one more assignment and she'll finish her Masters.

 I can grow really fabulous looking carrot tops - but growing impressive carrot bottoms (ie actual carrots) is proving slightly more difficult! I end up with some very strange looking shapes that smell and taste like carrots but don't resemble anything I see in the shops! I think the soil needs to be "looser" so the carrots can grow DOWN instead of TWISTED.

 Herb garden gone mad again.
 Comfrey, looking good but I'm not using it for anything!
 Broccoli gone to seed after harvesting; there's still a few little heads to cut yet. The goats really enjoy the leftovers.
 Tonight's dinner from the garden - lettuce, tomatoes, parsley,spring onion, eschallot and PURPLE CARROTS. We added celery and mushroom from the fridge. Grilled the chicken. Gibbo didn't complain - he enjoyed the meal.
Purple on the outside, orange on the inside and very, very tasty.

No comments: