Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Happy Birthday

to my Dad who is 75 today! I love him very much!!

I went for my first swim of the season and did 20 laps; had to buy a new pair of goggles. The local triathlon is on in November; in previous years I've competed either in a team or individually and we often have a bunch of Company people travel from all over (Springsure, Comet and Brisbane; one year we even had a guest athlete from Sydney!). We host the brunch afterwards. Our friends used to host the pasta dinner the night before but they aren't here any more so not sure what will happen there. I haven't decided if I'll compete this year; my exercise mojo is lost and not easily recovered although I did really enjoy the swim this morning. The pool is now heated and it was very pleasant.

These photos are from 2008 when I completed my first individual triathlon - 500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. Here I am on the left feeling slightly sick, wondering why I was putting myself through the torture to come. Julian was offering support.
 Here I am warming up - I tried not to do too much warming up in the pool - otherwise I'd be exhausted by the time the tri started! I don't swim very well.
 Out of the pool and onto the bike; it took me ages to get my bike gear on because I was so wet from the swim.
There doesn't appear to be much urgency in this photo...maybe I was just catching my breath, enjoying the moment! I finished, which was my only goal. Originally there was a group of six of us who were going to do it but they all fell by the wayside which only left me.

After the swim today I met K for tea and cupcake. We tried the Lavender Grey. She is feeling fragile at the prospect, next year, of her son leaving home for Uni and her oldest daughter leaving home for boarding school for grades 11 and 12. She is one of the most positive people I know and I've rarely, if ever, seen her teary so it's been a bit of a shock to see her this way. I tried to give her lots of support - and welcomed her to my world!!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

You're amazing Mare!
Triathlon. Wow! I would love, love, love to have a go at that! But I can't run, swim or cycle! Maybe I could assist with catering.
Hope your dad had a lovely day.
Fiona.
PS. Enjoyed your 'boss' comment. (I guess in my own mind I am).