Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hello Chloe

This is the extra mouth to feed that I alluded to in an earlier post. We were doing the goat/chook/garden thing yesterday afternoon when Megan heard a "miaow". She got very excited and sent Chris into the wilds of the overgrown trees and bushes in search of what was on the other end of the sound. He emerged, with this.




 Of course, there was never any question about whether we'd keep it or not (actually, it's a good thing that Gibbo didn't find it frst or there would have been quite a few questions!). It's eyes and ears are still closed, it weighs 165 grams and is fed every two hours (although it missed the 2am feed). It is being fed goats milk through a plastic syringe. It's nether regions are being stimulated to encourage weeing (otherwise they don't know how to wee??). Megan will consult further with the vet tomorrow (when she takes it to work).


Here's a couple of interesting facts to ponder. Three years ago I received a phone call from the RSPCA asking for a donation. I declined, as I felt that over the years we've done our fair share of looking after strays and blow-ins. Within a week, a dumped jack russell and three pups landed on my doorstep, courtesy of an ex-boyfriend of Megan's. We found homes for the mother and two pups; the third became Clarabelle, our fluffy friend who subsequently died with my staffy, Tilly, after they'd torn apart a very angry, hibernating brown snake.

Then, on Friday, I received a letter from "peta", asking for a donation to help animals that had been rescued from appalling conditions in puppy and kitten farms. I promptly threw it in the bin. The next day, we had an apparently abandoned newborn kitten land in our laps.

Do you see a pattern forming here?? Is the Universe trying to tell me something?

Next time, I'm donating $100. Who knows what we might end up with otherwise?

No comments: