Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In the Big Smoke

I fed the chooks, goats and pig nice and early (a beautiful time of day) then Gibbo took me to town to catch the bus to Brisbane. I caught the milk run, stopping at all stations. It showered rain most of the way. I had my space invaded (again) by my seat companion and the bus driver tuned the radio, loudly, to my least favorite talkback host (well, that was when he wasn't on the phone). At the risk of sounding like an OCD whiner and a wowser I really need to stop there.
I arrived around 11am and walked to our apartment accommodation down on the river near Eagle Street Pier. I passed rows and rows of bicycles that can be hired for a small fortune. After booking in (it's very nice) I went off and found some very tasty sushi for lunch. I then spent a wonderful nearly three hours in Borders and totally lost myself in the travel, cooking and gardening sections. I sat on the floor while I browsed. I bought Kiwi Tracks, a personal account of one persons' adventures walking the main trails of NZ; a book about T2 diabetes; a diabetes cooking mag and an organic gardening mag (a new publication, first edition). I then went downstairs to Gloria Jeans and enjoyed an excellent cappuccino.

Next stop was the "outdoors" shop where I fondled the clothing, admired the rucksacks and chose a new pair of walking shoes (but didn't buy them).


Siren Sport Gore-Tex XCR
I then wandered up to QUT to look for Meg.

I found the Justice block and sat there for 20 minutes watching all the really young people go past! I felt quite old but I liked the atmosphere at least. I then decided I was in the wrong place so wandered to G block and stood outside the tech room. Not long after she came out to go to the toilet and found me there.
When she finished we walked to the Goodwill Bridge then back along the river to the apartment.

From there we walked all around the pier area, past Aria, Cha Cha Char and Jade Buddha. We had hot chips, iced chocolate and chai latte on soy at the CClub and caught up on all the news since we last were together (only last Friday and we talked all weekend anyway!!). Still feeling a bit peckish, we found a Woolies and bought olives, sd toms, Mersey Valley cheese, salami and crackers plus a bottle of BB moscato at BWS! L rang - all the other girls had flown in and were all having dinner at the POH. We called in and said hello then came back and ate on the balcony and watched the people in the offices across the street. Chris came by and picked Meg up about 8.30. I won't see her again until Friday as the next two days and nights are quite busy.

The view from my windows.



 Botanical Gardens


 
Walking along the river



 The best part of the menu at Cha Cha Char
 Eagle Street Pier
 Jellyfish - the seafood sister to Cha Cha Char

No comments: