Saturday, December 10, 2011

I Love My Garden

CORN - WE HAVE CORN!! We may have been a bit premature in picking it (hello Ali!) but I couldn't wait another week! (We're away to the coast for a week).

 Meg picked it...............
 then peeled it like a banana...............
 Sneak peek.............
 Isn't she beautiful??????? Ima gonna have her for tea tonight............
 The worm farm is doing really well. Whenever I lift the hessian bags and nearly rotted newspaper to put more scraps in I see lots of worms. They didn't all leave home! And they're growing...not big and fat like the worms we used to take fishing in the river as kids, but they're getting bigger.
 Today's harvest.
 I gave the Princess an egg; unlike Poofy, she rarely eats them straight away; she takes them away and buries them. Once you give Poofy an egg he takes two steps and very gently cracks it open and licks the insides up. There's no "saving for later" with old Poof. Meg tracked Cocie like the paparazzi chasing those dreadful Kardashians.

 You can just make out her tail - the little black stump sticking up.
 See her?
 She had it well buried but Meg dug it up, just to get a photo. She re-buried it. I wonder if Cocie ever comes back for them?

1 comment:

Fiona said...

The corn looks wonderful Mare. I had a bumper crop last year, and also button squash. I remember seeming to eat them every meal. I'm afraid I've really let the garden slip behind in recent months. Just not enough hours in the day, or days in the week. I'm going to make a huge effort now school's finished to get things rolling again. (And we've just started getting storms, which is also very motivating).
More snakes here this year than ever seen before also!