Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Crazy Week

Another week done and dusted. Gibbo and I took a ute and trailer to CQ; the final cleanout of MD is nigh and we went to pick up some of the smaller gear to bring back here. The larger items have already been trucked to other properties in G's group. We drove back on Tuesday morning in two vehicles; I had the slightly more comfortable trip in the cruiser, loaded up with saddles and a very heavy, very old metal safe. A normally six hour trip morphed into an eight hour 80km/hr journey from hell that left me bored and restless; after the first four hours of following a very badly wobbling trailer (due to inefficient weight distribution) I lost G outside of Roma when I a) waited ten minutes for him to come along the road (he was already in front of me after getting fuel) and b) got held up for 20 minutes at two different roadworks. I finally found him again when I came around a bend in Miles - and saw he was pulled up by the local constabulary. I smiled as I sailed past him, thinking that at last the long arm of the law had finally tapped him on the shoulder and said "talking on your phone whilst driving is naughty" - but no, it was a RBT crew. I sat in front of him from there to home; I couldn't bear to watch the trailer swing from side to side any longer. Please take note of the absolute crap that we brought back; I registered my incredulity several times when I said "What do you want THAT/THEM for?".  He's a hoarder and sees a use in EVERYTHING, including 50 year old tree logs. Two truckies that passed us on the Injune road even commented on the wobbly trailer and "looks like he should be going to the tip with that lot". My sentiments exactly.
 As I drove out I saw these brolgas.

 Farewell MD.
The rest of the week passed in a now familiar blur of work, work, work. I went to T on Wednesday for my regular medical examinations; all clear.

No comments: