Friday, December 9, 2011

Changing the Battery

I've just spent 24 hours in Brisbane with my Dad; I took him down to a big hospital to have the battery in his defibrillator changed. He's had the device in his chest for six years now so it was time for a re-charge. When he first had it fitted it was set at a too sensitive level - and was giving his heart a jolt when it didn't really need it; apparently it's quite a jolt too! So he had it recalibrated soon after implanting and it (and he) has been fine since then.

It was raining when we left home and it poured all day and half the night. Gibbo dropped us at the hospital and then went to head office for meetings, meetings, meetings. Mate had an ECG, then I admitted him and stayed with him until a nurse came to take him away. I caught a taxi back to Mary Ryans at Milton and spent a pleasureable few hours browsing and sniffing the books. I rang the ward at 6ish and he had just come out of recovery and was doing fine. When I went to pick him up on Thursday morning it was still raining. After booking out we headed home; the sky cleared outside Tba. I had lunch with Meg then did a little book shopping and headed home. G stayed in Bris for more meetings! How many meetings can you have before someone says enough is enough?

Mate was telling me that he had three attempts at waking up in the recovery room. The first two times he didn't know where he was or what was going on. Thank goodness it all came back to him by the third time!
He thanked me very much for taking him and said he couldn't have done all that on his own. He's such a character. I love him.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Oh so glad to hear that your dad is rechargeable... you might have to start thinking of solar :)

I love your new header photo - your kids are just lovely looking.

Did you buy a book?