Saturday, October 1, 2011

Melbourne Photos

Blogger is being cantankerous and won't let me post photos to the riveting Melbourne post so I 'm trying to do a photo only post but it's taking forever.............

These first pics were taken when I was just wandering around....

The two AFL semi-finals were on - our hotel was across the way from the MCG. On the Friday night we went to the bar after the cocktail party finished and were over-run by Collingwood and Hawthorn supporters (at least I think that's who they were!).
The laneways are a real feature of Melbourne. This one is right near where we stayed when we went to the Commonwealth Games in 2006; in fact, we walked out of our apartment, across tiny one-way Flinders Lane and into this laneway.
This is where we stayed five years ago; fantastic accommodation in a fantastic location.
And this other laneway was a few steps from the front door of the apartment block; we had breakfast here one morning in '06.
Flinders Street Station is really impressive.

The Yarra and the MCG - can't get much more Melbourne than that!!


Drew, do you remember this clock in the Arcade where the lolly shop is? We were in Melbourne for the wagyu conference in 2007 (I think it was 2007) - we stood for ages and watched the people make lollies. When the clock strikes the hour little figures come out and run along a track-but I can't remember what they do and I didn't wait around for the 14 minutes it took to get to midday!
This is looking up the other end of the Arcade. I had my hair cut in a shop immediately to my left.
I made my way back to the hotel on Saturday through Chinatown and came across the Flower Drum Chinese Restaurant where the girls and I (Prue, Katrina, Lisa and Angela) had lunch when we arrived in Melbourne for the Commonwealth Games in 2006. At that time is was voted the best Chinese Restaurant in Melbourne (and could still be). It was where I first tasted Peking Duck! It was a wonderful lunch!
I took this photos for you Meg - I know your Oktoberfest experience wasn't quite what you expected due to the inclement weather but it made me think of you!
The views from our room, 2020.
I zoomed in on these two houses from way up high...........
and then I took a look from street level. This is the one on the left in the above picture......
and this is the one on the right.

No comments: