Thursday, October 27, 2011

Just Marvellous

I continue to marvel at the vege garden.........marvel, marvel, marvel. When I went over this morning, drops of water from the rain last night were glistening in the sunlight and everything just looked so clean and fresh and quite beautiful....and peaceful. I had to take some photos!


 I planted a new batch of lettuce even though we haven't eaten any of the first lot yet! Gibbo filled the tubs with dirt and scrapings from one of the chook pens that he concreted on his week off. I wonder how well they'll grow. I also planted new basil and coriander.
 The lettuce look really crisp and tasty and we'll probably pick one or two this weekend. They're small and they'll be sweet.


 The spinach has really picked up since I mulched it with lucerne hay. I put some in the bacon and egg pie last weekend. When they're bigger I'll share them with the chooks.
 The zucchinis are going great guns.

 It is this mandala that has really amazed me the most. I've done a Mud Pie Ali and forgotten what the bigger vege is. I think it's a cabbage but I'm not really sure....Anyway, it seems to grow overnight. This mandala is one that I rested over the winter after moving the chooks. I don't always strictly follow the rules of permaculture - I leave the chooks on their site for much longer than a few weeks and when I move them I dig in a bit of extra manure and dirt then leave it sit for a few weeks. It really seems to have had a positive effect on this garden.
 Look at the size of those leaves!
 When I looked a couple of days ago these radishes were still tiny........after a bit of fertiliser on the weekend they've exploded! Gibbo loves radish so I'll have to pick these soon....maybe I'll put them in a salad with those little lettuce leaves.



 The flowers have got buds on them so it won't be long until I've got some baby zinnia (I think that's what they are).


Just Marvellous! I love it!

2 comments:

Fiona said...

I love it too Mare.
Your vege garden is so much tidier than mine though. I really need to spend a day in there weeding and tidying. I want to put brick edging in as you've done, which I think would help keep things in their place.
You have to walk past my vege area to feed the dogs and pigs, and the smell of the vegetables is beautiful, much like a greengrocers store. I love everything about my garden too, and all thanks to your inspiration, or I probably still would no very little about permaculture.
And yes, the new little camera is an IXUS. Takes surprisingly good photos and I tend to grab it now in preference to the big one.
Have a great weekend.

Ali said...

Oh yes, I think it looks just marvelous too. What on earth are you feeding those veggies?!

ps I'll have you know that I label EVERYTHING now... a veritable labeling Queen :)