Thursday, July 7, 2011

Introducing....Rookie

On my most recent return trip from Toowoomba I called in at Z's to see if a rooster that Gibbo had seen the week before was still there. He was. I bought him. I also made an executive decision without first consulting my genetic advisor and bought myself a new buff cockerel.Five bucks. What a bargain. Here he is......please meet...........Rookie (named by Meg).

Rookie is going to take the place of Old Red. Whilst OR is a virile rooster who has sired many a buff chicken, his comb and wattles are just too red. I can't breed a better chicken if I start off on the wrong foot. Rookie is only a young cockerel but his face colouring is the more traditional (and required) mulberry. His body shape is good and I'm hoping he will breed on well. I look forward to seeing the first of his offspring.

Old Red is very red in the face.
Rookie is not.


No comments: