Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Chaudiere Lodge

Jim and Lianne drove Drew to Chaudiere Lodge on July 2 and he has been having a wonderful, wonderful time ever since. He's taken some awesome pictures with his new camera and has done things he'd never experience at home here. He is extending his stay by two weeks, giving him six weeks altogether at the Lodge. It has been a fantastic experience for him. I can't possibly post all the photos but over a couple of days I will post my favourites.

Hello,

Sitting on the shoreline of Chaudiere Lodge with a nice breeze. It’s rather pretty. Thought I'd finally get round to emailing you.

The day after Canada  Day I left Ottawa for Chaudiere Lodge. It was like a 6 hour drive or so. We arrived at about 5ish and had to call Steve to come pick us up.... Literally this place is one of the most beautiful places I have EVER seen in my life. I'll send photos of the place after this email.


My official title is 'Dock Hand' which means I deal with all the boats, fish and anything else related to the water. I greet new guests, take them to their rooms etc and explain what the go is.


I work with two other guys Josh and Danny. Josh is super cool, he knows his stuff and is genuine. Xxxxxx (deleted a few grumbling sentences.


Edited. -.- oh by the way I get a percentage of the tips :) Steve has to give me something. Edited. Anyway back to the tips.. I get money :) So I'll put it away and save it.


My schedule is this. I wake up at 6am every morning and get ready to be at the docks by 6:30. Then we sit there for half and hour and drink coffee and watch the sun come up over the trees. Then we have to get the boats ready and stuff for the people to go out fishing. Then I have to do odd maintenance jobs or gardening or whatever needs doing. Breakfast is at 9 for 15 minutes.. Lunch is at 12 for half and hour and then I finished at 2:30. But that depends on what I'm doing at the time. Dinner is at 5 for staff. The food here is REALLY good. I might not lose and weight :(


Okay, so the staff.


Head Chef - Phil. He is really cool and funny.
Soup Chef - Ky. He is super quite and shy.
Pastry Chef - Micah. He is from Italy and has the maturity of a 13 year old boy - which can be funny at times.


Dishwashers, servers and house keeping:
Jacklyn - She reminds me alot of MC. She is really funny.
Karen - She is really smart and reads books about neurology and stuff. Her and I get along.
Jen - From South California. She's a sweet heart and is a fiance to one of the guides.
Kelsey - She came a day after me. She's 18 and really nice.


Dock Boys:
Drew - Best person / accent ever
Danny -
Josh - Chill :)


Then theres Steve and Dianne. Dianne is this little feisty manager who helps run the Lodge. Luckily for me she has a sweet spot for me! and Steve is a bit unorganised! but means well.


Theres two golf carts on the island which are SO much fun to drive around and cart stuff (guests, luggage, heavy stuff) Theres about 20 cottages which are all really nice. The dock is probably my favourite place, such a nice view and that swaying feeling you get from the water. I think I'll be pretty relaxed after this.. sort of anyway. In my spare time, because there isn't much to do I either swim or go get my book and lay on the docks and read.


Bears and Moose are known to be quite plentiful on the main island. So hopefully I get to see those! There are ALOT of red back squirrels and chipmunks. Which are supppppper quite and so cute! Like they walk up to your feet and then when they realise how big you are they take off. Theres also a few water snakes and spiders.. dock spiders.. WHICH ARE HUGE! The snakes we have to catch and boat them out to an island a fair way away so they don't come back but apparently we catch at least 2 per day.. today we caught 3. Today I suggested that maybe the snakes are swimming back from the island.. I was told by Danny that that wasn't possible.. I'm positive I saw the same snake 3 times today haha

I have the sweetest tan EVER from two days. Imagine me after a month. Jealous Megan? My watch tan is actually a little embarrassing! aha! The bugs aren't to bad.. when they aren't on you. In the mornings it's fine.. the dragon flies are our friends, they gobble up the mossies pretty quick. During the day we get these really annoying horse and black flies that just don't leave you alone! Even if you are wearing bug spray. I do this stupid dance / wave my hands everywhere to try get rid of them. The guests sometimes look at me strange. At night the bugs are actually mediocre.

I like talking to the guests. Alot of them are from the States and they are very interested in my story. Theres a couple from TENNESSEE (imagine me saying that in a really bad American accent) who are going to Australia in November I think she said. I'm going to grab her email before she leaves.


The showers are.. small. Which makes me sad. and we're only allowed quick showers.. which makes me sadder.. and sometimes theres spiders in them.. which makes me want to die hahaha!


Anyway its super nice here but I am homesick from Ottawa and Australia, I'm sure I'll survive.. even if the work is really hard. I miss and love you all!


Will send photos later.

Lots of love


Dock Hand Drew :)
















2 comments:

FIsh Fever said...

That was Fantastic Drew, It was a pleasure to have you at the Lodge and I sincerely hope our paths cross again in the Future. Have a wonderful Christmas and keep in touch.

Respectfully yours;

Steve Niedzwiecki.

FIsh Fever said...

That was Fantastic Drew, it was my pleasure to have you at the lodge this summer and I sincerely hope that our paths cross in the future. Have a merry Christmas and keep in touch.

Steve Niedzwiecki.