Friday, October 26, 2012

Where We're At

We are in Brisbane for two days of budget meetings. I'm feeling the pressure but no-one else is. I wish I didn't. I wish I could also say "it's just a budget" but I can't. It makes me anxious and nervous.

Drewy is approaching the pointy end of the semester. The 2500 word essay that he wrote the weekend of my party at midnight, 3am, 4am etc produced a 7. See what you're capable of when you put your mind and body to something? Great things.

Meg is in the process of negotiating a new car deal. Exciting times for her. She will be selling the little red machine once the dint is ironed out next month.

Seven of us went out for dinner last night to a restaurant up the road from where we're staying and we took our own meat. We had two pieces of meat left over from the competition at the conference - a grass fed product (given to us by a producer who was keen for us to try his meat) and a grainfed product (one of our own) and both highly marbled. There was only enough for 4 grass fed steaks - one as an entree and three as meals (although we shared the three, making sure everyone got a good taste). The grainfed product cut up into 6 steaks. (I had to use my phone camera so some of these photos don't do justice to the meat).

The grass fed, raw.


The grainfed, raw.


The grass fed, entree.



The grass fed, cooked.


The grainfed, cooked.


The verdict?

Everyone (all managers from properties that breed/grow/feedlot wagyu) really enjoyed the flavour of the grass fed product and thought that it was equal to and, in some opinions, better than the grainfed; however, all thought that tenderness and chewability was better from the grainfed.

The vote - 3 out of 7 preferred the grass fed over the grainfed; 4 out of 7 preferred the grainfed over the grass fed.

Just for the record - I preferred the grass fed.


1 comment:

Fiona said...

Hi Mare. Gee Drew's doing well with his studies isn't he, nearly another year behind him. What's happening to time?
Meg's macarons were amazing! Will look forward to seeing the finished product.
For the record, I prefer grassfed beef.