Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Morning at Home

I like poached eggs but I fail badly at cooking them the traditional way - dropped gently into a saucepan of gently swirling water. I've even tried the "wrap the egg in gladwrap" method with no success. Put vinegar in the water. No, didn't help. I bought two of these little gadgets yesterday and tried one out this morning. While maybe not perfect at the first attempt I will certainly be using them again. The result was passable and tasted great.

Served with bbq sauce, s & p and home grown tommies.
Satisfaction is a full feed bin. It means getting through the week without mixing more.
Meg is trialling some minerals for the two P's. Spoilt or what?
I have six clucky silkies sitting on around 30 eggs between them. Another hen is raising 9 chickens, not all hatched by her. As they've hatched I've taken them from their still sitting mother and nestled them under Hen 1. While she wasn't looking. She has no idea. It takes a village.
A barnie pullet, eating from the goats' dish while they're not looking. Sometimes you just have to grab a feed when and where you can around here.The garden is looking really bare now that all the pumpkin vines are gone. I've not been planting much either due to pest infestations. When I come back from our week away I'm going to try raising seedlings in boxes over at the house, get them to a certain size and then transplant and see if that helps with the pests. And I've run out of bricks.
This is my latest offsider. They don't hang around for long though. There's always something to chase. Whenever I water, several bedraggled mice make their way shakily out of their holes and scurry off to another burrow hopefully somewhere dry. That is if Coco doesn't get them first. Chloe is still working on her mouse catching skills.
Here's Princess Coco having a drink from the small split in the hose.
Am I Beautiful???
Chloe is becoming more and more adventurous. You can just make her out in the tree; she looks like a possum. The mickey miners were shrieking and screaming at her. Like most cats she just ignored them and went about her business.
See the bird to the right of Chloe? It gave her a right earful of abuse.
Off now for a week; Meg is at home looking after the fort.

No comments: