Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pepper and the Pumpkins

I have been wondering how to tell when it's the optimum time to harvest the pumpkins. I now have my answer and need wonder no more. The pumpkins are ready to be picked when the goats indicate said pumpkins' readiness by sampling each pumpkin they come across - after they (the goats this is) have escaped, Houdini like, from their enclosure. Obviously this pumpkin is VERY ready, judging from the amount of nibble-like markings on the skin and flesh.
Yes Megan, YOUR goats!!
The butternut pumpkins are obviously ready too. The rockmelon was saved.
These critters, along with suspected snails, are causing me no end of grief in the garden. I plant a punnet of seedlings and the next day they are either gone completely or full of holes. I've lost the spinach, lettuce, coriander and most of the tomatoes that were planted last week. The eschallots are barely holding on. I would take photos of the evidence of the decimation except there's no evidence left to take a photo of. Beautiful little green plants, all gone.
An eggplant leafy, full of holes.
Chris fixed the goat pen gate.
Megan washed out their water dish. I wanted to wash their mouths out with soap.
The secret pathway to the chook pens. Old Red and his girls like to hide in here.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Those rascally goats!!!
What a shame about your seedlings.
I've just planted dwarf beans, zucchini and broccoli. I actually grew this lot from seed, transplanted them into pots and got them quite big and robust before putting them in the ground. No attacks as yet, although my egg plant leaves look much like yours!
Our pumpkin vines have been growing wild near the pig paddock, recent invasion from heifers has left them decimated, though at least now we can see the tens of pumpkins that were hidden by the vines and grass!
Take care Mare, have a good week.