Saturday, February 19, 2011

In the Garden

I spent the late afternoon harvesting the pumpkins.....here's one batch of them. You can just make out the nibble marks from those rotten goats. I let them out for a run and they went ballistic........frantically ripping the lids off the sorghum and wheat bins, terrorising the pig, running in and out of the silkie teenager pen....and taking bite sized pieces out of any pumpkin they came across. I thought I was at Schoolies. Then they knocked half these off the garbage bin and sent them scattering. They were crazy. I tricked Pepper into coming to me by shaking a feed bucket, then locked them back up again..................with a pumpkin to finish off.
This is Nellie. She's my "special needs" chook. She's a bit light on in the brains department but I'm very fond of her. I have to remind her to come out of the pen in the morning and to go back in at night. She attached herself to one of the red hens that went clucky and would spend all day cuddled up beside her. The red hen is off the cluck and now Nellie doesn't quite know what to do with herself all day. So she does this........perches on the stand under the white hens and nods off to sleep, her head bobbing up and down depending on whether she's fully awake or not. I'm not sure how much longer Nellie will be with us; I think she forgets to eat sometimes.We had a lovely sunset to finish the day. Meg is at Mt. Tamborine with Chris, staying in a lovely B&B. I so need to take a trip up there one day soon.

No comments: