Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Savouring the Moment

The kids and I drove to town together this morning. Drew had his early Japanese lesson, Meg had work and my car was in town at Mum's. Gibbo had left early to catch a flight to Sydney and won't be home until Friday night.

As we were driving in (I sat in the back, Drew drove and Meg was designated supervisor) I thought about how we won't be doing things like this for much longer. These days will pass all too quickly, where we're together and talking and laughing and kidding each other. Drew will go to Canada for a year and by the time he comes back, Meg might have moved on again; and Drew probably won't come back here anyway. He'll have other plans. These are the days that won't come again; with the kids at this age and this stage and at this time in our lives. These next six months could well be the last times we live together as a family. I thought those days were over years ago when Meg first left home; so it's been a real bonus for all of us to have her back to close the circle again.

So I'm trying to really savour our time together as a family unit before it loosens and one of us leaves. Again, I'll have that constant feeling that something isn't quite right, like something is missing, just like I did when Meg first went to Womens. Only this time, what's missing will be on the other side of the world, not a quick 3hr drive away. Lucky a mother's heartstrings stretch a long way.

No comments: