Tuesday, June 8, 2010

All Aboard...........

Well the Theatre Restaurant (Mystery on the Orient Express) turned out to be surprisingly better than some might have anticipated (said without prejudice). There was considerably less practice/attention/drama than there has ever been before with any of the musicals which made me wonder what we were in for. Admittedly, this was a smaller production but it was still a public performance. By the time we were ten minutes into the show I knew it was all going to be ok.

Drew played his role with his usual flair and captured the audience from the start. He was the Inspector and did a great job, being the conduit between the audience and the stage. His facial expressions and mannerisms are what really works for him.

Mum, Meg and I went Friday night and then Gibbo, Mum and I went Saturday night. Friday night had a few sound issues which were pretty well fixed for Sat night. Gibbo really enjoyed it, more than some of the musicals he's been made to sit through (and way, way more than all those ballet concerts-12 of them).
One of the things an introvert fears most (well, at least I do) is being singled out for attention; having a room full of people look at you; being put in the spotlight and up on a stage..........and of course, it had to happen to me. There I was, just sitting enjoying the show, when one of the Von Crapp family came and chose me to get up and perform the Von Crapp Family dance. I couldn't say no - so there I was, up there for all to see - and Gibbo taking photos.

They were two great performances and they're probably the last time we'll see Drew up on a stage, ever (maybe, who knows). So I tried to really concentrate and soak up everything about him.
Drinks at interval.

We were encouraged to dress up 20's style - hence the ridiculous looking yellow thing sticking out the side of my head.

No comments: