Friday, June 4, 2010

One of the Consequences...

of falling asleep on the couch, in front of the heater with the dog, is that when you wake up - you're WIDE awake. It happens quite often! I try to kind of melt into bed (because electric blanket has been on 2 for a couple of hours), trying not to wake Gibbo; and then I lie there wide awake with my mind racing. One little test I give myself, to check if I'm going to fall back asleep, is to see how difficult it is to open my eyes - if I don't really want to open them I know it won't be long until I'm back asleep; if they spring wide open, I know I'm no chance in the next hour or more so I get up and have a cup of tea, read a book, watch the Lifestyle channel - or blog. Completely throws my mood levels out the next day though.

My brother gave me this recipe when I dropped him home last week. The photo looks a little blurry and doesn't do them justice (actually they look a bit gross, but they weren't). They're sticky pork ribs - and they are very sticky and very sweet. The sauce is fantastic - hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, brown sugar, 5 spice powder and dark sherry - what a combination and not really for the faint hearted. They were delicious. We had them with corn cobs.
After many, many years of every sip of wine tasting like vinegar (I may have affected my taste buds with a certain spirit made from sugar cane in my younger years) I have finally discovered a very sweet wine that is to my liking. N&R suggested it at the recent family wedding and I bought a bottle two weekends ago. We tried it with the ribs - it was very nice! So now I will be able to take a bottle of wine when we go out somewhere or have friends over, instead of a square bear or cruisers.
A friend dropped this off - Gibbo is the fish (and steak) chef in the family so he filleted, crumbed and cooked it up.
Meg cooked up a vegetable soup and pasta and froze the meals for lunches at work.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Our tastebuds must be very similar. I too, am a lover of the great sugar-cane derivative - as is Matthew. He, however also really enjoys a good red, something I struggle to accept. I do try, but it all tastes rather harsh to me. But I have discovered the Brown Brothers range. Both Zibibbo and Crouchen Riesling are particularly nice, as well as the Moscato.
Yes, it seems rather more fitting for a lady to turn up at an event with a bottle of wine under-wing than a six-pack or bottle of Rumbo.
Have a great busy weekend.
We're both judging at a local show, so early departure in the morning!
Fiona.