Sunday, September 2, 2012

What We Did

We had a fun weekend, just like I knew we would!

Saturday morning Meg, Drew and I went to town to do jobs. There's always jobs. Meg and I went to the sports shop; she bought me a new head band/ear warmer. Just what I'd been looking for. Thanks Meg. We went to visit the doctor to discuss what vaccinations Drew will need before his immersion trip to India in November. Lots of them actually. Well, four. In a stroke of luck we actually got to see our GP who did the medical and vaccinations for the Canada trip (and also was on duty the night we ended up at the hospital a few weeks ago). He and his family are contemplating a trip to India so he was well versed with the extra medications Drew should take with him. I had to throw my weight around (hahaha) to actually get the appointment ; dug my heels in and didn't give in like I usually do.

After that we went and visited my parents. I saw some videos of Andrew's adventures; they were entertaining. We picked up bottles that they've been saving for us to make our relishes and jams for Christmas gifts this year. Mate and I swapped $50 - gifts to each other for Fathers Day and my birthday.

After unpacking the shopping at home, Drew and I went to the farm to help Gibbo while Meg stayed home.

Drew had to stay up late both nights he was home to complete a 1200 word essay on peacekeeping missions in Sudan. He finished it last night. He scored another 7 for the first assignment of this semester (Anthropology). It's hard to admonish him for partying too hard when he keeps producing good results.

Today was fun. We had breakfast together then all went outside. Meg and Gibbo mixed feed (she caretakes 2 chooks in Tba and took back enough food to feed them for the next 10 years); Drew scrubbed and cleaned my water dishes then watered the vege garden. I tidied it up a bit, ready for some spring planting (which I probably should have already done by now).

Over lunch we discussed my impending birthday. The one where I turn 50! Should we have a party or not? Half of me wants to (the half that would like to see some people I haven't seen for a while) and half of me doesn't want to (the introvert in me, the being that craves intense moments of solitude and gets agitated in a crowd and doesn't like any fuss). We talked about what to eat, what to drink, when to have it, who to invite. I only have a pocketful of friends but once we started listing names we ended up at 50 in no time. Haha. 50. There's that number again! It will be the No Fuss No Frills Fiftieth at the New Farm. Marinated wagyu and wagyu mince balls for entree; wagyu burgers for lunch (with salad, coleslaw and onion) and mini pavlovas for dessert. No Fuss. No Frills. No Drama. No Big Deal. Emphasis on the people, not on having everything looking "perfect" - and as we're not living at the farm yet it doesn't have to be "perfect" because it's all a work in progress. Now I'm up to 65.

Just before we all split to go our separate ways after lunch we had a photo session. I love photo sessions. Gibbo and Coco (farm dog extraordinaire) went to the farm; Meg and Drew went to Toowoomba (she will drive him back to Uni in the morning before backtracking to training at Wacol) and I went riding.









I love my babies. And they both love the camera!


1 comment:

Fiona said...

That last photo's a corker Mare, but you really didn't get a look in with those kids did you! They've Gibbo written all over them. Hope you all enjoyed a lovely Father's Day.