Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 8 CQ2012 Gympie to Cooroy

Saturday 15th September, 2012

Only 58km today with two nasty hills thrown in along with a screaming 15% downhill! I rode the brakes all the way down - Gibbo would have been horrified - he doesn't like it when I ride the brakes down the Twba range when I'm driving.

This ride was actually the one I enjoyed the most for two reasons. Despite the hills it was just beautiful riding through the country lanes, everything green and glistening with dew and so pretty. I took my time and just enjoyed the journey. We came across these and just had to stop.



Morning tea was here; what a spot!


We were eating lunch at 9.55am in Kin Kin. I could barely eat anything - three meals in three hours just about did me in.

The second reason I enjoyed this particular ride the most actually involved a range - the one between Kin Kin and Pomona. It looked steeper on the map than it actually was and it wound it's way up the mountain rather than going up in a straight line! It also had a really smooth surface which made the job easier. If all the hills I ever climbed were like this I'd never complain. I'm surprised to admit that I actually enjoyed it.

We arrived in Cooroy in really good time and walked back into town. What a cute little place. I was hungry (?!!) for quiche and salad but could only find a roast vegetable frittata with lentils.


Oh - and this!! This was REALLY GOOD!!



Back at the campsite we did a bit of washing and I dozed in my tent. LB's family arrived to have a look around - they were all spending a week at Noosa once the ride was finished so she went with them to pick up the key and unpack. It was too hot in the tent so I amused myself by taking some photos.












At dinner the big announcement of the location of next year's ride was highly anticipated - although there had been a (true) rumour floating around since Thursday.........CAIRNS AND BEYOND!!! A big cheer erupted. When I went to bed I googled train timetables and fares (Sunlander and Tilt). I think a day or two on a train on the way up and back might just be a good way to go!

No comments: