Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 4 CQ2012 Maryborough to Hervey Bay

Tuesday September 11, 2012

Hello 50! You're here - thanks for coming!

Leona gave me a bag that she'd made and a little canvas print of our favourite cycling photo on an easel - it's the one she used as the "letterhead" when the sponsorship letters went out. I think it's a classic!




Breakfast was hash browns, scrambled eggs and onions. Each morning I force myself to also eat half a cup of bircher muesli, just to give myself plenty of fuel in the tank. I have to chew it 50 times before I can swallow it.

Here I am on the morning I turned 50, heading out the gate.


We didn't leave camp until 8am so as to allow the worst of the traffic to be gone (not sure that theory worked). The road out from Maryborough was extremely busy and a little nerve wracking at times. However, we made it to our morning tea stop at Dundowran.

I had been feeling a bit sad at breakfast that I wasn't with any of my family on my big day - but then I thought (and said to LB) that I'd rather be on the bike ride because if I was home, there'd be no-one there anyway - Gibbo would be at Surat, the kids would be away and I'd be at work. So at morning tea I was sitting on a stump, staring at the ground, trying to force a mushy banana down.

And then it happened.

I looked up - and there, holding hands and creeping through all the cyclists were these two - I looked at them but I couldn't believe what I was seeing - I looked away, then back again and they were still there, standing in front of me giggling!! I think I gave a little scream or said "oh no" or something and then burst into tears!!




I couldn't stop hugging and kissing them!


Apparently the visit was all worked out two weeks ago and LB knew all about it. Meg got into my phone and got her number and L let her know where we'd be on the day. They were going to meet us at lunch or the campsite but they arrived earlier than expected. L had been on the phone to them when they were about 10 minutes away and they told her to wait so she stalled a bit by standing in a long line for a cup of tea. I had been a bit preoccupied and didn't notice anything unusual. They parked illegally and ran down the hill to where we were! What an amazing surprise - the biggest one in my 50 years! Drew had got a bus to Meg in Twba last night, then they drove to Dalby and stayed with Mum and G came in for tea. Mum was going to come too but she woke up feeling sick so they left her behind.

After all the excitement we headed off to the lunch break which was only down the road; when we got there we decided to keep going and meet the kids at a little cafe they had seen earlier. There was a rather nasty little hill to get up first though.



The four of us had a lovely meal at the little cafe. I have photos but they're on Meg's camera. There was a swooping magpie in the trees overhead; Drew helped a little old lady across the road. After a really happy lunch we cycled (and the kids drove) the few kms to the campsite. I took them around and showed them everything - my tent, where everything is, how it all works etc. We went for a walk along the beach and collected some coral and shells.



Too soon it was time for them to leave. I didn't' want them to leave but I was anxious about the long drive back. They made it back to Mum's about 7pm and then continued on through to Twba.

LB having a swing and emailing.




That night at dinner, during the evening roundup, it was mentioned that Maryanne had had a special birthday today - and if anyone had seen her crying at morning tea - well she cried all the way to lunch and the campsite as well - because her kids had driven from the Darling Downs to meet up and surprise her. They don't normally announce birthdays but when LB went and told them they asked her was it a special birthday etc - so they decided to go with it.

What a fabulous way to turn 50! Riding my bike with my friend and having my kids surprise me with a visit. Totally, totally awesome.

No comments: