Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Wrap Up


So. The Wrap Up. What did I learn and what would I do differently?

First and foremost I learnt that getting an easy campese tent is the absolute best way to go. Having no worries about getting into camp and having to put up your own tent and then being able to walk away from it each morning (instead of being in a hurry to eat and pack up a wet tent and get going) makes for an overall more pleasant riding experience.

I learnt that getting away early each day makes for very comfortable riding conditions, avoiding the worst of the afternoon sun.

I learnt that you can stay too long at rest stops and let yourself cool down which makes you not feel like moving on! A max of 10-15 minutes at morning and afternoon tea and 20 or so minutes at lunch is more than enough time to fuel up (although that depends a bit on the length of the toilet queue).

I learnt that talking to people and learning from them is very advantageous and improves your skills and  ability. As usual I analysed and processed what I'd been told and then applied it as best I could. I think it worked a lot of the time.

I learnt that I really like a sausage on bread when I get into camp. I can't believe how much food I ate over the 9 days. I must have eaten 3 or  4 times as much as what I eat at home and even though I was burning it up each day, my stomach can only hold so much food. Blah.

I learnt that being totally focussed on something else is a great way to shift your mindset (and it reminds you that everything will not fall apart just because you're not there). I only thought about the feedlot once, when Gibbo rang to ask me about some trucking arrangements.

I learnt that having a buddy along for the ride helps you meet people. If I'd been on my own I wouldn't have struck up the friendship with the 3 doctors. I probably wouldn't have gone to lunch with Jill and her crew. I would have just stuck to myself.

I learnt that we don't know what we're capable of until we are challenged. Getting up and over the "Oh Sh*t" hill on day 1 set the tone for the rest of the ride. I wasn't going to walk, no matter how hard it got. Suck it up, soldier. Puke and hair, puke and hair.

Finally, I learnt that it's all in the mind - if you believe you can do something, you will. If you believe you can't do something, you won't. Pretty simple really.

What would I do differently? Nothing really, except get a more comfortable pillow to sleep on. I think it all worked out pretty well.

So goodbye to CQ2012; I'm looking forward to CQ2013.

Oh, and in the end we raised $1,720 for beyondblue.

No comments: