Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 7 CQ2012 Tiaro to Gympie

Friday September 14, 2012

Tackling the Hills - the best approach to hills is to have the right attitude; just as a journey of 1000 kilometres begins with a single step, it's best to tackle the hills one pedal stroke after another. Start the ride with a positive attitude; rather than dreading the upcoming work, see the hills as a chance to work different muscles, get your body out of the saddle and to spy some different views. For steeper or longer hills, stay focused just in front of your bike. Don't look too far ahead. Maintain a high cadence. See the hill as finishing once you get beyond its crest. Rather than stopping for a breather as soon as you hit the crest, push yourself past it and ease off once you've gone a bit further. This aids your recovery and really does make a difference. Advice in the daily Chain Mail.

102km of hills, hills, hills. I broke the ride up into four sections and rode the first three conservatively, saving my energy for the last 25km of long climbs into Gympie. Morning tea was at Dickabram Bridge - the oldest remaining large steel truss bridge in Queensland. It was built in 1886 and spans the Mary River. We had to stop and walk across after riding on about 4km of dirt/gravel to get there.


Lunch.


I listened too much to people. I didn't take the ride book with me. I didn't want to see what was left on the map. I knew there were an awful lot of jagged peaks to get over and get over them I did. It was really hard but really good at the same time. I ran into someone at the afternoon tea break who gave me some good advice and it helped. There was a lot of traffic and still more hills coming into Gympie. It was such a relief to make it to the camp ground. Dinner was delicious irish lamb, barley and stout stew with lots of horseradish mashed potato, baby peas and salad followed by apricot danish and custard. I slept really, really well that night!

No comments: