Monday, November 22, 2010

That Speech

Good morning ladies and gentlemen, parents, friends and most of all my fellow students of XXX College. I am honored to be able to stand here today and share with you a vote of thanks. I sat down last weekend with a week of schooling to go and thought back over my journey through XX, XX and now XXX College and thought just how lucky I am to have been a student here for the last thirteen years.

Firstly, I’d like to thank Mr. H on behalf of the year 12’s for your blessing as we venture out into the world, all going our separate ways. Our lives will be enriched by the experiences we have had throughout our schooling life. We appreciate the resources you have provided for us, not only do they reflect on our schools’ reputation but they look fantastic. I thank you for the opportunities you have provided us and being there supporting the students for everything, from musicals, public speaking competitions, camps, sporting events and driving us to numerous events in the ‘Xmobile’. I still to this very day question your musical taste.

To the teachers I thank you for your infinite wisdom and being on our backs constantly, keeping us achieving our very best. For the past five years of senior school you have dedicated every waking minute to helping us realise our dreams, getting the best possible marks and making the class room an enjoyable environment. I thank you for being there when we needed to talk about anything whether it was school related or not. You know I’ve been thinking, I don’t think the word ‘teacher’ is the appropriate word to describe you guys – as I look back on our time together I consider you all friends, which is why I’ve added you all on Facebook, so please accept me - haha just kidding. We’ve been through the good times and the bad, the times when you told us to put on our hats and our answer was ‘Miss, please, I’m getting a mad tan for formal’; the times in class when we laughed and got no work done; the times you answered our ridiculous questions about life and the times when you persisted if we didn’t understand something – to the English teachers, to be honest I still have NO idea what a discourse is, but thank you for trying. You’ve all been there from the start of our journey into adulthood and we really do appreciate it, even if we haven’t always shown it.

To our loving, caring and amazing parents I thank you the most. I thank you for the washing, the ironing, the cooking, the checking of assignments, the numerous times you drove us to school events, everything. You’ve spent countless hours helping us with our school work from hearing our times tables and spelling in primary to… well times tables and spelling in high school and giving us advice about life. Your morals and beliefs have been instilled in us forever – you’ve taught us right from wrong. We will never be able to repay you for everything you’ve done for us except pass on the lessons you taught us to our children… maybe we’ll even find you a nice retirement home.

If the last thirteen years have taught me anything it’s that you only get out what you put in. This school has an amazing feeling of inclusion and a sense of belonging and I’ve always felt part of a bigger family. It is the parents, teachers and students of this wonderful College that foster this feeling. Can we please give a round of applause as thanks?

Finally, to the amazing cohort of year 12; here we are guys, freedom, I mean, graduation. Three days away from graduating and it only feels like yesterday that we stepped foot into high school, all the new classrooms, subjects, people and teachers. The memories we have shared since year eight, and some of you since preschool, will stick with me forever. I thank you for all the good times we shared at lunch, camps, in the classroom and outside of school - these will be the memories that I will cherish forever. Now as we choose our own paths, some of you will continue in education, while others will go straight into the work force. We have all discovered our individual talents here at XXX College – whether it’s been academic, cultural or sporting. With this in mind, I would like to end with a quote by Mark Twain for the Class of 2010:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.”

The Email
Gibbo and Maryanne,


I'm so glad I watched Drew's speech. He absolutely was the right person for that job. I was sitting by myself, with vacant chairs on either side of me, just sobbing and laughing and sobbing and laughing. I was pleased that XXX was also able to listen to his speech. I love the fact that Drew is such a physically strong looking boy who is in tune with his emotions!! He is so grown up!

Well done mum and dad and congratulations, you've raised a wonderful young man for our world! It is such an achievement!(I want to do the same!!)

I had to have a panadol when I came home, a hug from XX and a little ly down.... and Drew and XXX
are not even my children!!

No comments: