Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Garden

I can't really think of anything original any more for my permaculture post titles so will just have to stick with "The Garden" for the next little while. I spent hours over the weekend working out there...and I got a new gate built and a completed second layer of goat proof (at this stage) chicken wire erected courtesy of Gibbo and Andrew DJ.

I planted baby carrots, thai basil, strawberry, lettuce and radish.

The boys also put two layers of netting on my second round pen. This is one very expensive rooster so I'm hoping he's well protected behind there from marauding Reynards.
 The bok choy and asian greens are enjoying the heat. Unfortunately, the caterpillars are enjoying them so I need to fix that.
 The pumpkins are coming.........in fact, they're everywhere. Megan squeals with delight when she finds one (which is quite often).

 An unwelcome visitor.


 Carrots (on a funny angle). I can grow magnificent carrot tops and carrot heads but when it comes to carrot bodies...no way. I guess the soil isn't friable enough and I end up with very fat, squashed up carrots - that still taste great.

 The zucchinis have been really fat this year, maybe something to do with all the rain (followed by erratic watering by me). 

 I throw a couple of spinach leaves in to the young barnevelders each morning; they go balistic over it and it disappears in seconds.

 Two of my garden helpers (!!?). One had come out for a break from studying; the other leads a charmed life (actually, they both do!).
 The handbag dog.


 Wild tomatoes still growing.
 A new strawberry plant, purchased because the baby goat got in and wrecked the last one.
 Zucchini, wild toms and my first two baby cucumbers.........and a tiny pumpkin on the way.

No comments: