Thursday, November 11, 2010

'Round and 'Round the Garden

The house garden continues to both frustrate and delight. I had taken to coming home from work and doing an hour or two or a section each afternoon but recent developments (ie volunteering to do the decorations for the Grade 12 formal) have overtaken that.

Doug reminded me that I should be able to operate the individual sprinkler systems (there's 18 of them) manually by turning them on from the control boxes situated throughout the lawn, saving me the tedium of moving 6 hoses, 5 times a day. I put no. 15 on when I went to work and no. 17 on when I left after lunch to go back to work. Both blew joins and gallons/litres an awful lot of water was wasted. However, if I go around repairing all the blowouts, being able to have the entire system working, albeit manually, will be an enormous time (and mind) saver.
 This is the rose on one of the roundabout arches. It's name is on the tip of my tongue, I know it really well, but it's just out of reach. I think there's three words to it. It's flowers are so dainty and so pretty.



 The jacaranda is beautiful, laying a purple carpet on the ground. The Uni students had best be well into their studies.


 Plenty of aphids about. 

 This is the wild corner of the yard; it's a jungle in there.
 These guys aren't really allowed in the yard; they just don't know it...and if they do, they ignore the rule.
 The sky is falling, the sky is falling!




1 comment:

Fiona said...

Absolutely love your rose. Is it a Pierre de Ronsard? I planted roses en-masse a couple of years back only to find they can't handle our horrifically hard water. I do have a Pierre de Ronsard struggling on, and one other variety that copes, maybe Bonica. I put in all pinks, in my head it was going to be spectacular. My garden would be the talk of the district!!! Not so. I love your whole garden. The rain certainly helps.