Friday, October 2, 2009

My Birthday Weekend

We spent my birthday weekend in Brisbane, as we did last year. Gibbo plays Under 40's cricket and each year, on the second weekend in September, his team plays in a carnival.

Drew and I caught the bus to Bris on Friday afternoon as Gibbo was already down there for meetings. Megs, Chris and Ally picked us up and we went to meet G; the guys gave me my birthday present - a new lens for my camera. It's a magnifier, twice the size of Andrew's so will be really handy. We went to Sizzlers for dinner. It was really nice to all be together again. I draw so much from having my family around me. I sit back and watch them interact and laugh and joke and it's all good.

Saturday saw G head off to his cricket game. The kids and I went to Indro and shopped. Megs and Drew had lists; all I wanted was some new jeans and White Musk from The Body Shop. We managed to find everything we wanted. I made the $50 of birthday money that my Dad gave me stretch to $100 in my all time favourite shop, The Tree or Life. I bought two new cushions (pink and purple); a headband and bangle; a shoulder bag and a paper mache camel type animal for my bathroom. I also bought K a bangle for doing such a great job with her Biggest Loser Challenge, even though she came second and was beaten by her husband.

We went back to Meg's place and checked out Schoolies sites for 2010 for Drew. We had tea at The Ville at a Chinese restaurant; very tasty. Then we went over to meet up with G, who had finished for the day and was watching the footy with the team at the pub.

Sunday morning Megs met us early and we had breaky; G went to cricket and the kids and I went to Rocklea Markets which were quite disappointing. Megs dropped us at the cricket and Drewy and I sat and watched the most boring game in the world ever to be invented. He worked on his Biology assignment then had a sleep on a blanket on the grass. I read a magazine and tried to sleep.

In the end, Gibbo's team won the carnival and he won two prizes - most runs scored throughout the weekend and most 8's scored. We finally arrived home about 7.30pm.

It was a great weekend spent with my children; and G gets to play sport so everyone was happy. The only disturbing thing to emerge from the weekend is Gibbo's wish to join the Golden Oldies Tour to England next year - 24 days of travel with a whole week of GO cricket and another 3 tour games on top of that. Not sure I can cope with all that cricket.

No comments: