Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flowers for Me

We had an early start to the day with Drew needing to be in town around 7am to head off on Leadership camp. He was very much looking forward to going. He left his phone and ipod at home on the kitchen table as they were listed under the heading "What not to Bring" - so no contact until Friday 5-30pm. This time four years ago, Megs was heading off on the same camp, only under very different circumstances. I was going into hospital to have a lump removed from my lung; they were uncertain times and we insisted that she still go on camp.

It was a busy day at work today. There was an audit (that I wasn't involved in) and I spent all day working on budgets for 4 profit centres/stations. I've set them up ready to attack tomorrow with projected figures.

I was sitting in G's office, deep in concentration, when I looked up and saw a man who delivers commodities to us standing at the door with an enormous bunch of flowers in his arms - white lillies and red roses wrapped in bright yellow cellophane. "These are for you", he said. I was speechless. I was totally blown away! I had helped him and his wife out with a little problem and they were so grateful; I saved his wife a considerable amount of stress just by making a couple of phone calls to the right person and they wanted to say thankyou. The flowers are absolutely magnificent and their scent filled the office and is now wafting through the kitchen and family room. I was humbled and chuffed at the same time and didn't stop smiling all afternoon. What I did for them, to me, was only what they deserved in the first place and for them to be so appreciative of what I did - well it goes to show that however small an act of kindness is to you, it can have an enormous impact on someone else. So thankyou, J and K, you made my day.

I came home and did another hour of weeding. The driveway is looking better, slowly. It's very cathartic, weeding. It gives you lots of time to think about life.

It's a very quiet evening! G is watching TV; I'm surreptitiously typing here. Day 7 so far and I'm managing to keep up. I've even added a photo to my profile and set up 'blogs I'm following' on my sidebar. I'm re-emerging into the world.

I still have a few posts to catch up on - the NSW coastal trip; and the death of St. John the Brave, our ginger cat who died when we were away.

No comments: