Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Little Embarrassed

I'm a little embarrassed to post these photos. I've been very neglectful of the vege garden of late due to illness, fatigue, lethargy/apathy and work. I must be feeling a bit better because this morning I cleaned out some of the small round gardens in preparation for the addition of some compost from the worm patch and new plantings. Posting these pics will encourage me to make sure I stick to my guns and finish what I start so in a few weeks time I should have some lovely pics of freshly planted veges to post. Maybe.

We also treated the silkies and p-rockers for stickfast fleas, nasty little critters.

I'm also starting to pot up some cuttings from plants in this garden to take to the farm garden. By the time we move I hope to have a nice collection to take with us - and some already planted down there.

Here's before and after photos of the round vege gardens.

I always let my eschallots grow too big because I hate to pull ANYTHING out. I guess it doesn't really matter - I still use them; and just because the way they get ugly, lay all over the ground and have lots of dead bits interferes with my sense of order and symmetry doesn't mean they shouldn't be left.


I pulled most of them out and left some fairly new growth so that I've got some to use until the next planting matures. You can see how dry and crappy the ground is and how stressed the poor little strawberries are. The sprinkler is on over there right now.


You can hardly see the mint; and I finally pulled the straggling capsicum plants out. They've been in forever, since the day we visited Bunnings (an eon ago) and Megan insisted that I buy them.


Very stressed mint with wild italian parsley behind it - that has overtaken and apparently obliterated the comfrey that used to live there.


The compost/worm patch. They hay bales that I used as a border have all but disintegrated, except for the one bottom right that is covered by a hessian bag. The bags that covered the patch have also rotted away to almost nothing. Some sorghum, pumpkins and tomatoes have sprouted but I pulled them out.



After I've watered I'll dig up some compost for the round gardens then dig this lot in and cover with new bags.


More eschallots; this lot all went.





I gave Gibbo a little in lesson in "What herb is that"? He's cooked two pieces of corned meat this week and I've sent him over to the garden to  pick some fresh thyme - with very specific instructions on where to find it ("open the gate, walk straight ahead to the garden in the MIDDLE - it's the herb garden. The herb that you want is right in front of you, next to the parsley". He got it right but still checked with me this morning to make sure.


No comments: