Monday, January 17, 2011

Permaculture One Year On

This past weekend marks one year since I first marked out the seven circles in my permaculture garden. A lot has happened in our lives since then and the garden now has a life and story of her own too. She went from being a bare, hard, dusty patch to a small oasis of lush, green plants. We might not have survived solely on her produce but we've certainly had a pleasing array of meals from her (and based on the number of pumpkins out there at present, there's going to be a lot of pumpkin soup on the menu soon). She has been a source of calm and serenity in my life and gives me much joy and peace. I'm not an excitable kind of girl but I squealed with delight twice today when I discovered a very small rockmelon and an even tinier eggplant! I have to celebrate the anniversary with her story in pictures (there's a lot of pictures so be warned!).

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Loved that post Mare.
Amazing to look back at that first picture of some circles drawn on the ground. I can't believe how well the whole concept works.
I must get some photos of mine up too!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your great vegetable garden. I'd love a garden like yours but I live on a suburban block with tall trees that shade so all I can grow are a few tomato plants and herbs in pots. Still, it's always nice to look at other's gardens and drool!
V