Monday, January 3, 2011

The Perils of Palm Trees

Whilst it is nice to have three palm trees in our garden, they are a rather messy plant. Three or four times a year we remove the enormous seed fronds and also the pods before they open. To hear the sound of a pod hitting the ground makes one wonder if they would survive a direct hit. They are very, very heavy.
 A man with a plan.
 Two men with a plan. The plan involves me driving the machine in the background.
Woofman is the foreman, checking on proceedings. 
It's all ok momma, they'll be fine.
 That's me in the cab, craning my neck to see that I haven't lost sight of the boys.
 You can just make them out - because while all this was happening, a big, dark, angry storm was brewing. Why would we want to prune three palm trees in a windstorm?
This isn't a great picture (for two reasons - 1) because it's blurry and 2) because I have a singlet on that shows my bones) but I wanted to show the approaching storm in the background.
 Down safely - but not before abandoning tree number three due to safety issues.
And here's the storm. It didn't last for long, blew a lot, dumped a bit of rain then moved on.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I saw on the TV weather last night, the possibility of as much as 200 mm in your area before the end of the week, just in storms. I hope not for everybody's sake.
(I hate jobs involving men on forks/buckets and me at the controls. Our old loader has such a jerky up/down motion that I inevitably find myself in a lot of trouble)!