Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Counting Down The Hours

The days and hours have been stolen with stealth. There was a time when we were counting down the months until Drew's departure; then it was weeks; then days........now it's hours. About 32 of them.

I woke up early and crawled into bed with him. I cuddled him like I used to when he was a little boy but he doesn't fit into the curve of my body like he used to. I snuggled into his back and cried myself back to sleep.
We spent the day tying up loose ends. He scrubbed out the chook and goat water dishes for me then had a swim.
We deferred his QTAC UQ offer and got his UQ student number and password. We went to town to have some extra passport photos taken in case he needs some over there. We asked for a happy passport size photo together and the photographer obliged. While we waited for them to be processed we went for a final cappucino and raspberry spider together. We (I) re-packed his bag and ended up with a very respectable 20.5kg for the big bag and 6.5kg for the backpack.
Doug and June came to say goodbye and gave him a Kangaroos ARL jersey. He loves it. Jack came to visit and stayed for a while. Then he went for one last bike ride.
He rang his host mum who told him there was a Freeze Warning issued and it's minus 30. Holy cow, that's cold.
After juggling the menu a few times we ended up having a feast of honey soy chicken wings, pork mince dumplings and thai chicken mince balls for Drew's final meal at home (for a year).

Gibbo had a tough day at work; one of the toughest ever. He's shattered.
And now there's not much left to do. I'm off to write in my 365 journal, have a cup of tea, catch up on some blog reading if I can stay awake for longer than 5 minutes then off to sleep. My stomach is sick. Tomorrow will fly by.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I'm crying Mare!
Why do they have to grow up?
Hope everything's okay with Gibbo too.