Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cows, Calves, Water, Fire

The day started early with cows and calves in the yards. 39 wagyu cows, 27 (15f and 12m) wagyu calves, 1 wagyu bull, 3 charolais girls, 1 wandering angus calf, a cow and calf on agistment and the neighbour's steer were all put through. One escaped through the closed too late head bail but we'll get him next time. No harsh words were exchanged; minor frustrations were quickly quelled; it was all quite civil. We collected tail hair for DNA parent verification. The only disaster was when I nearly knocked myself out trying to shut a stubborn gate on the crush after we'd finished. It felled me. The two pats on the back and an "are ya right?" from my offsider did little to stem the silent flow of tears.




Ow and more Ow.






We finally found some time to do a bit of rearranging. We moved the gun cabinet and the old writing desk into the storeroom and took the dryer inside; some more gear went to the shed. The outdoor area now looks like an outdoor area and not a junk yard.

I put the power cord for the internet box in through Drew's window; we can now shut the kitchen sliding door properly.




These live just outside the kitchen door and will need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. I remember many a time growing up where we'd light a piece of newspaper, hold it for 2 seconds near the nest, then run like hell. I wonder who'll do it now?


The ten moving boxes that were piled up here went to the dump at last.


We did a bit of autumn leaves burning.


The water leak that we fixed yesterday didn't solve the overall problem of water not getting up to the tank. G now thinks the problem might be in the bore hole itself. Our friend Dave is here with his truck, taking water from the dam up to the tank so that we have water for the week.

After giving myself permission to let my 365 journal rest for a month while we moved I started her up again today. I've missed doing it (therapy) so I'm glad to be back into it.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

The tags and notebooks and cattle in crushes look so very familiar Mare. Though here there are always harsh words if one makes it through the headbail!