Friday, May 3, 2013

Home Again

I took a day off paid work and did a day of unpaid work (which is actually more satisfying and rewarding than the paid option).

There are 3 water leaks on the farm; one on the way up to the tank and two on the way back down (hence the bucket of tank water in the toilet). I learnt how to fix a water line. It's not rocket science but my teacher was very bossy earnest in sharing his knowledge - do this, do that, pass me that bit, dig deeper, hit it harder, not that hard, etc etc. I had a little word with him about cleaning up after himself and not leaving tools/jumper leads/old bits of pipe lying around. Being too busy is no excuse (in my perfect world anyway).

This was the most serious leak; the line up to the tank that gravity feeds back to all the troughs and the house. Thank goodness for two dams for stock water.


Only 50 metres; are you sure that's enough? No, it wasn't.


Water shut off to the house.


Chook water; keep following that line, you'll find where it meets up. I didn't.


Um helloooo??! What about me? Do I look like I need the exercise??


My tool of choice. There was also a shovel and a crow bar in the line-up.


We managed to get everything going again and should have water to the toilets by the morning.

This cute little seed pod (?) is on the canna lily (?) in the outdoor area garden.


In great news, my Birthday Tree (Australian Frangipani) is shooting now that Pepper and The Marauders have relocated to The Compound. The Marauders stripped it completely; she is fighting back.


So too is the lemon tree; lots of fresh green leaves.


I started a compost bin today with horse manure and chook feathers/manure/straw. I'll add to it over the next few days and get a full bin happening.

Gibbo spent the week away in the south, selecting and weighing some EU animals for the boat job. Then he visited PD at Nabiac and had a look at his impressive setup. He drove late into the night and got home about 10.30 last night. Andrew D had come to stay so they caught up briefly with each other over an early breakfast this morning.

In kid news - Meg is off to the coast for the weekend and Drew is working at the Broncos/Souths game tonight.

The weekend plan - processing wagyu calves, mowing, washing, rubbish run and 365.

No comments: