Sunday, March 4, 2012

22 Years and 1 Day

I had to mark the occasion yesterday even though it was just with a one liner! I was too tired last night to sit and write anything more than that. It was the first time in a few years that the 3rd has fallen on a Saturday; anniversaries and birthdays seem so much more relevant (to me) when they fall on the actual day that the event occurred.

So what did we do? Gibbo went to cricket (!) and dropped chooks off at a local show on the way (!). I went to town and shopped (!) then came home and helped Meg prepare the makings of goat cheese and caramelised onion tartlets for a dinner that she was going to. Then I drove to the show to pick up the chooks and visited my brother for a couple of hours before heading home. After cricket, Gibbo went to the farm to pick up more of the portable yard panels that aren't being sold with the property. We went out for dinner last night and I had two of my favourite meals - garlic prawns (a shared entree) and a pork chop! Gibbo had beer battered fish. Then we went for coffee at the CC.

Twenty-two years is a long time! I remember I worked up until lunchtime on the Thursday before. I couldn't believe I'd been stupid enough to choose a wedding date that was only two days after end of month closing. Even at a real estate office my life was ruled by end of month balancing (of the trust account). Ours was a very "spare" wedding. We paid for it ourselves, every single cent. My dress cost $330 - I sold it the week after for $200. My shoes cost $30. Total cost was $2,500; thirty-two guests, including us; catered for by the best caterer in town, Marie, at The Duck Inn. No bridesmaids or groomsmen, just two witnesses. Col picked us up in their Camry and drove us to the park! My father was still in bed an hour before the wedding; my mother didn't want to come; didn't want to be in the photos. We went back to her place afterwards and played cricket. We went away to Maleny/Montville for a few days, found some nice old furniture at a little antique shop in Yandina and bought a couple of pieces. We came home and continued on just as we'd been before; nothing much had changed except now my name was different!

Happy Anniversary!

No comments: