Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 9 - Rosewood to Brisbane

Woke up at 4 and couldn't go back to sleep. I got away at 7.30 - it was a 52km ride to the finish.

Had a zigzag trip to Brisbane; we went thru the centre of Ipswich, that was scary with lots of red lights and cars. We wove our way through back streets, crossed the Centenary Highway on an overpass, were held up here and there by police and finally arrived at the end about 10 - and there was Gibbo, taking a photo of me as I came through the finish arch. About 2km out I had a few tears at the relief of finishing but also at the enormity of what I'd achieved.

We walked to the DFO carpark and went inside for a coffee. Ben and Lillie were there meeting Charlie - it was Lillie's birthday.


We headed home - I talked all the way, telling Gibbo all about the last nine days; picked up Coco from Mum's and got some milk, bread and cold meat. Came home and hung the tent and other gear out to air and started washing my clothes. I had some help.


 Chloe was the most (un)helpful of the three of them - can you see where she's jumped up to try to get INTO THE FLY while it's HANGING UP? She fell straight back down.

 And to top it all off, Bruce came for a visit. He must have missed us!
As the afternoon wore on I went downhill and now I'm so tired I can hardly stand up! Not sure if I could have done another day - well, maybe one more with no hills. Looking forward to sleeping in a soft bed and not hearing tent zips.

Tomorrow I head back to the office to see what happened during the week in my little world. We're only home for four days, then we're off to Melbourne for the wagyu conference.

I need another week off!

No comments: