Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 1 - Goondiwindi to Yelarbon

Left home at 6.30am, picked Kat up at her place and off went. Got to Gundi about 9.15 and went and registered. My ride id has Gibbo's name on it! Engulfed again. We drove a few hundred metres to the park where we were to assemble. Kat and I had been paranoid about sticking to the weight limit. We needn't have worried; our bags weren't weighed! We had been agonising over 200-400 grams; I even took some nickers out to lighten the load!

Gibbo discovered a flat tyre on the car so he changed that (better on the car than on the bike!).

 The lens cap was stuck half-way...........I wanted to open and close it but Gibbo just stuck his finger in it and flicked it open..................................
 Katrina said something about how frustrated I must get at times......................
 We started laughing....................
 and couldn't stop...................


We bid him farewell, then went for coffee and a bacon and egg sandwich and found a warm spot to sit out of the wind to await the start.

Left Gundi in a rolling start at midday, was a bit nervous not to knock anybody off - Kat and me and 813 new friends!! 57km flat terrain to Yelarbon, cold riding day, lunch was good - corn meat and salad wrap. Just had a warm shower (that was interesting - walked in and all I could see was bums and boobs - it's very communal), now sitting in tent then going to go charge iPhone :) then head to dinner (chicken kebabs and salad). Tailwind all the way, hope it continues! Can hear music playing. Hundreds of tents! Photos to come upon my return.

Can't believe I'm actually doing this!

No comments: