Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday Night


The weekend flew by.Yesterday Gibbo went to Kingaroy to play cricket. They won - on the second last ball. Down to the wire. How exciting. One of his QCC teammates stayed last night and went back to Gundi this morning.

While he was gone I did 4 loads of washing, made relish, went up the paddock to the Armageddon/Deliverance Compound to mix feed, did a bit of fencing on the goat paddock, rearranged chickens, screeched and swore at The Marauders, weeded the first of three of the house gardens,  washed the tiled walls in the bathroom and toilet to remove the leftover grout glue, continued cleaning out the gutters, assembled the new vacuum cleaner (now I'd best begin using it) and weeded 3/4 of the vegetable bed (that was hard work - lots of couch grass).




Meg called in for a flying visit between her regular hair appointment and an evening party.

Some of us had an easy day. This is what happens when you stay out all night; after a big feed you end up collapsing all over Momma's notebook.


Today Gibbo worked all day up at the Armageddon/Deliverance Compound, fencing it with dog netting and two wires that will be electric. Whilst keeping unwanted predators OUT I am hoping (and being assured) that Pepper and The Marauders will be kept IN. It's a big area up there and will be ideal for them. I told Gibbo I'd be his Town Planner; when the fence is finished I'll help him rearrange his pens into some semblance of order in amongst the brigalow trees and try to create harmony from chaos.

I pottered around at my chooks, throwing them hay, cleaning water dishes and collecting eggs.


Now THESE are REAL chook pens. I have to dodge the orb spiders and their webs when I go in to top up feed and water; so far so good. The day one jumps on me will be the day they all come down.


Heads down, bottoms up Girls.






My little compound is a square; the big pens form one side; this pen, that Andrew made from an old bed, forms another side; a row of four small chicken pens is the third side and an off the ground, double pen forms the fourth side. 


I finished weeding the vege garden and then spread that big pile of horse manure that's at the far end. While digging and turning the soil over I found lots of big garlic cloves, some shooting, so I replanted them, about 30 in all, close to the edge along two sides.




I can't plant anything until 1) The Marauders are secured behind bars and 2) we return from a week's holiday in a tropical paradise (that's if we go; we need to keep an eye on proceedings in NK and whether US military bases are really a legitimate target).

What else did I do today? Peter came for a visit and to pick up his relish. I think he enjoys us living close by. I finished weeding the three round house gardens; all that's left in them now are the bulb plants that I'm going to transplant into the beds that run along the outdoor area. My parkland plans have begun.

I sprayed the broadleaf weeds; later in the week I'll spray the garden edges and around all the trees to make mowing easier.  I dug these out by hand, too late to spray them....






I had help. Sort of.




Butter wouldn't melt?



No comments: